FreeBSD's UFS vs Ext4

Mihai Donțu mihai.dontu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:19:06 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 February 2010 12:54:26 Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > Even deleting a large file off that raid array I can
> > see a difference, prior to reformatting, i deleted a 190GB file off the
> > raid, under UFS the delete took quite some time (well over 10 seconds),
> > under ext4 the deletion of the same size file took about 3 seconds.
>
> File deletion speed is relevant how?

It can be, depending on the workload. I (as a Linux user) moved from ext3 to
xfs, ignoring the warnings about file deletion [being slow]. Now I _kind of_
regret it. Seems I have more than one program on my laptop that deletes files
(kmail's email-expiration thing comes to mind). I also work on a project that
creates large log files an deletes them (periodically). When all these
programs meet, I go for a coffee. :)

--
Mihai Donțu