Breaking the sendmail code / sendmail for dummies

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Feb 8 13:12:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:28:20PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, John wrote:
>
> > A little background - elwood will be the mail hub.  Any e-mail
> > originating from within my local network should be re-written to
> > eliminate the specific host name and only use the higher level
> > domain.  I belive that is "MASQUERADE_AS".  In trying to make sure
> > this is what I want, I keep running into references to the domain
> > file and references like "../domain".  Should I really be considering
> > creating something regarding my local configuration in the
> > /usr/share/sendmail/cf/domain directory?  That seems - wrong.
>
> It's not recommended.
>
> Instead, running make in /etc/mail creates your hostname.mc file from
> the templates there.  (/etc/mail/Makefile is a model of making things
> easier.)
>
> Then edit hostname.mc.  Change the masquerade settings:
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')
> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`mydomain.com')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_entire_domain')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
>
> After the edits, do a 'make all install restart'.  Done!

Wow!  Thanks, Warren!  I guess I wasn't as close as I thought on
the masquerading.

So - I did all that you suggested, and it sure looks like it worked,
but I still have a question.  It did both the hostname.mc and the
hostname.submit.mc files and .cf files, but I didn't do anything
to the hostanme.submit.mc file.  Am I still OK?

> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG