Cannot build perl on FreeBSD 8.0

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Feb 7 18:31:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Denis wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> Did you rebuild all your ports after the upgrade from 7.2 to 8.0?
>> Do you have any extra settings in /etc/make.conf?
>
> Not yet. I'm trying to do this - a lot of ports depend on perl, and I
> get stuck with it.
> No, there are no any extra settings in /etc/make.conf.

You may be running into the situation where something Perl needs can't
run because of mixed libraries.

For the 7-8 major version upgrade, it's usually easier and faster to
save your pkg_info output, backup /usr/local/etc, and pkg_delete
everything.  Then update the ports tree and start installing ports from
scratch.

There may be a way to automate that, like feeding the saved pkg_info
output to portupgrade.  I haven't done it often enough to investigate.