Wireless Access Point

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 23:41:44 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Mark <redtick at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Mark <redtick at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Wireless Access Point
To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
Cc: "help help" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 2:46 PM

--- On Sat, 2/6/10, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
> Subject: Re: Wireless Access Point
> To: "Bill Tillman" <btillman99 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Saturday, February 6, 2010, 1:45 PM
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Bill Tillman
> wrote:
> > Now my new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server seems to be
> almost ready to take over for the D-Link router and my old
> FreeBSD server. I have two NIC's in this server, an ethernet
> cable one (bge0) and the wireless NIC (ral0) or wlan0.
> > I can ping outside addresses from this new server but
> of course it's using the 10.0.0.0/24 segment which I knew
> would work. But even though the wireless clients can connect
> to the wirless NIC and be assigned an IP address and can
> ping the IP address of the server, both of them,  I cannot
> access the Internet from any of the wireless machines. I
> could use some advice on what to do to correct this.
>
> Sounds like NAT is working for the internal wired
> interface, but not the wireless interface.  Check your
> firewall rules.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

In rc.conf you need gateway_enabe="YES". After making the entry you can do /etc/netstart to keep from rebooting.

Are you running a dhcp server, that is pushing the gateway IP and dns server ip's out to the wireless network or just hand config??

Yes, my dhcp server which is this same FreeBSD server with the wireless NIC is pushing the gateway IP address 192.168.0.254

This is my /etc/rc.conf file

hostname="FreeBSD13.mydomain.com"
gateway_enable="YES"
ifconfig_bge0="DHCP"
inetd_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
wlans_ral0=wlan0
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap mode 11g"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.0.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid freebsdap channel 11"
sendmail_enable="NO"
natd_interface="wlan0"

The wireless laptop is seeing the FreeBSD server and is connecting and getting an IP address. But I cannot get out to the Internet with it. I really appreciate the advice gang. I know this thing is probably simple and I just can't find the resolution.