portsnap - broken metadata

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:23:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:20:53 +0000
Angelin Lalev <lalev.angelin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have proxy server that requires username and password and I have set
> the HTTP_PROXY and FTP_PROXY environment variables accordingly.
> (HTTP_PROXY = FTP_PROXY =
> USERNAME:PASSWORD at proxy.uni-svishtov.bg:8080)
>
> portsnap --debug shows, among other rows the following error message:
>
> phttpget: host = USERNAME, port = PASSWORD at proxy.uni-svishtov.bg:8080:
> servname not
>  supported for ai_socktype
>
> Seems to me like a bug somewhere in portsnap. Any help?

It looks to be a bug in phttpget, which is a download utility
used by portsnap and freebsd-update. It supports pipelining, so
it's very fast at fetching a large number of small files, but in all
other respects it simpler and less mature than fetch.

As temporary workaround I would suggest you backup portsnap and change
the line:

PHTTPGET=/usr/libexec/phttpget

PHTTPGET=/usr/bin/fetch