How does Sysinstall Mount File Systems?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Feb 3 00:50:09 UTC 2010

Polytropon writes:
> If I interpret your question correctly, you are intending to
> ask how sysinstall can install on an already sliced, partitioned

	Correct.

> and formatted disk; is this correct?
>
> You chose "Custom" for the installation. In the partition
> editor, you assign the the located partitions to the functional
> subtrees (/, swap, /tmp, /var, /usr, /home - or any layout you
> want) and make sure that they are of the type "UFS+S" (except
> / which is usually "UFS" without S), and the format option is
> set to "N" which will cause sysinstall not to format the
> partitions.

	I think I failed to do exactly that.

	I have been using FreeBSD and sysinstall for around 8
years but have never used sysinstall in this manner. When you
run it from the CDROM, it quietly mounts everything after
formatting the disk so I thought I should stay away from the
partition editor as the drive is already formatted with Freebsd
and swap partitions.

> In other words: It's obvious - you just use the disk. :-)

	Thanks for clearing that up. I am discovering a load of
details about sysinstall that I didn't know as well as I thought
I did.

	I think I have asked my quota of really dumb questions
for the day. Thanks to all for your patience.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer