mysql silently failing to start - suggestions?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Mon Feb 1 17:05:34 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 5:34 π.μ., John wrote:
> If this isn't the right list - if I should try another let me know -
> but since this is the mysql-server-5.4.2 package, and since you
> folks have been so helpful, I thought I'd give it a go.
>
> Anyway, the system is 8.0-RELEASE and that package is installed,
> and I can't start the server.  Not only can I not start the server,
> but it's not giving me a clue.  I can't find anything anywhere.
> Not in /var/log/messages, not anywhere.  When I run
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqlserver start
> it says "Starting mysql.", pauses for several seconds (I don't see
> anything go by in "top") and then the script exits.  At that point,
> one would expect, there's no /tmp/mysql.sock, there's nothing
> in messages or anywhere else.  With nothing to go on, well, I don't
> know where to start.  Any suggestions?

Maybe a long shot, but I once had a problem starting mysql because the
sticky bit was not set on /tmp.
I had previously dump/restored the system and forgot to chmod -R 1777 /tmp
Don't remember the exact error message - if there was any - but it took
me quite some time to figure out.
Have a quick look at this.