FTP using .netrc

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Mon Feb 1 10:12:09 UTC 2010

Goal is to download the install source directory tree so I can use it as
  an target for local ftp sysinstall.

The problem is that the FreeBSD ftp server keeps timing out before
everything is downloaded. This is the error message ftp gives me.

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed

This is the command line command used to launch the ftp session
ftp -v ftp.FreeBSD.org

It defaults to using /root/.netrc which is shown below

machine ftp.FreeBSD.org
login anonymous
password FBSD at home.com
macdef init
prompt off
cd /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.0-RELEASE
epsv4 off
mget  ERRATA.HTM ERRATA.TXT HARDWARE.HTM HARDWARE.TXT README.HTM
mget  README.TXT RELNOTES.HTM RELNOTES.TXT cdrom.inf docbook.css
$ getdir base catpages dict doc games info kernels manpages ports
proflibs src
quit

macdef getdir
! mkdir $i
mget $i/*

Question is how can I make FTP resume the download at the place it timed
out. IE not start at the beginning and re-download all the same files
all ready received. ftp -vR ftp.FreeBSD.org just starts downloading from
the beginning again.

I tried testing using fetch -avrpAF ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org but the
/.netrc file is not being defaulted to like when using plan ftp as above.