mysql silently failing to start - suggestions?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Mon Feb 1 03:54:59 UTC 2010

In the last episode (Jan 31), John said:
> If this isn't the right list - if I should try another let me know - but
> since this is the mysql-server-5.4.2 package, and since you folks have
> been so helpful, I thought I'd give it a go.
>
> Anyway, the system is 8.0-RELEASE and that package is installed, and I
> can't start the server.  Not only can I not start the server, but it's not
> giving me a clue.  I can't find anything anywhere.  Not in
> /var/log/messages, not anywhere.  When I run
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqlserver start
> it says "Starting mysql.", pauses for several seconds (I don't see
> anything go by in "top") and then the script exits.  At that point, one
> would expect, there's no /tmp/mysql.sock, there's nothing in messages or
> anywhere else.  With nothing to go on, well, I don't know where to start.
> Any suggestions?

/var/db/mysql/<hostname>.err should contain more information.  The
rc.d/mysql-server script was recently changed to wait up to 15 seconds for
the server to become ready, which is the cause of the long delay.  It
doesn't check to see if the pid file has disappeared (which indicates the
server has exited).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com