mysql silently failing to start - suggestions?

John john at starfire.mn.org
Mon Feb 1 03:34:17 UTC 2010

If this isn't the right list - if I should try another let me know -
but since this is the mysql-server-5.4.2 package, and since you
folks have been so helpful, I thought I'd give it a go.

Anyway, the system is 8.0-RELEASE and that package is installed,
and I can't start the server.  Not only can I not start the server,
but it's not giving me a clue.  I can't find anything anywhere.
Not in /var/log/messages, not anywhere.  When I run
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqlserver start
it says "Starting mysql.", pauses for several seconds (I don't see
anything go by in "top") and then the script exits.  At that point,
one would expect, there's no /tmp/mysql.sock, there's nothing
in messages or anywhere else.  With nothing to go on, well, I don't
know where to start.  Any suggestions?
--

John Lind
john at starfire.MN.ORG