How to build a BROKEN port?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Dec 30 01:12:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:49:25 +1000, Da Rock <freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> Pardon me for being the queer one to ask this- but how does one
> force/override building a port marked as broken?
>
> I'm not about to run a make install clean on it, but I would like to at
> least have a crack at trying to fix whats wrong. In this particular case
> its involving a particular arch, and seeing as I have this arch I'd
> reckon I'm an ideal candidate to try and help fix it :)
>
> I poked around for a bit for an answer, but pretty much all the info is
> on how to mark it as broken- not overriding it.

Edit it's 'Makefile'.  Look for an assignment of the form:

    .if ${MACHINE_ARCH} = "amd64"
    BROKEN=     This port fails to frobnicate foo on amd64.
    .endif

Remove this assignment, build the port and try to debug its problems.
When you have a fix, run "make clean" in the port directory, save a copy
of the entire port subdirectory somewhere and email the person or team
listed in MAINTAINER with your fix.