ZFS RAIDZ Controller Disk Order

Charlie Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:46:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM, David Rawling <djr at pdconsec.net> wrote:
> On 29/12/2010 11:08 PM, Charlie Mason wrote:
>
> Is it perhaps possible to disconnect the disks again, boot the system, and
> remove the ZFS pool cache (which location escapes me for the moment). Then
> you should be able to import the pool again using the -f switch (force). I
> think if you are using the cache, the order matters. If you're importing a
> fresh pool, the system simply needs to find enough member disks.
>
> I'm not a ZFS expert though...

Thanks for the info Dave. I managed to find the cache file. On my
install its under /boot/zfs/zpool.cache. I have also seen reports of
it under /etc/zfs whilst googling (I think that was Solaris though).
For safety's sake I backed it up and rebooted the server. Zpool then
lost all trace of the old array.

Then I used the zpool import command which was able to automatically
locate the array then I simply imported it by its name. Magically all
is working agian! So I can now get my photos off the old array and on
to the new one.

Thanks again for the info, its been really useful.

Charlie