SD/CF card reader

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 01:35:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> Not needed - it works! The strange thing is that there are no
> console messages when inserting the SD and CF cards (both
> do work), in contrast to what happens if I use a regular
> USB stick.

My understanding is that USB devices can only respond to information
requests, not broadcast changes so that is why nothing is in dmesg
indicating new media has been inserted.  Unless you have GEOM or something
like hal constantly polling the device you won't be alerted.  Normal USB
flash drives are different than SD readers because GEOM can poll them
immediately.

I'm still frightened as

>        # true > /dev/da0
>
> suggests that something important might get overwritten. :-)
>
> GEOM: da1: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: da1: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.
> GEOM: da1: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
> GEOM: da1: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.

Yeah I don't know about that.  I think it's just a warning but maybe trying
using FreeBSD zero out device, partition(slice) and newfs_msdos it.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512k count=10
fdisk -i /dev/da0
newfs_msdos -F32 /dev/da0s1
--
Adam Vande More