Portmaster general questions and problems

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 21:59:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Ron (Lists) <rg.lists at rzweb.com> wrote:

> I had been using portupgrade for several years and never had any problems
> and upgrading ports was quick and simple process every week.  But, due to
> portupgrade no longer being maintained and failing to work anymore, I have
> switched to using portmaster and am having nothing but problems, so much so
> that I dread updating my ports.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I don't understand
> about portmaster.  I've looked on google and can't find any documentation
> that isn't just basic stuff or rehashes of the man pages (which are fine for
> reference, but not helpful in understanding how to use it).

I'm pretty sure this is a problem with a port and it's depends listing or
something and not specific to portmaster.  This should be relatively easy to
test, try it with portupgrade/portmanager instead on the same ports tree.

Your implication that this sort of thing didn't happen on portupgrade
directly contradicts my experience.

You'll probably get better help on freebsd-ports@ although there are people
on this list that can help but list activity is low right now.  Anyway I
also see there a recent entry in UPDATING about libltdl.

--
Adam Vande More