avahi-app port build fails on one system, not other

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at insightbb.com
Sun Dec 19 02:16:57 UTC 2010

On Saturday 18 December 2010 6:23:30 pm Jud wrote:
> Apologies for top-post.
>
> Because many other ports depend on icu, it might be preferable to update
> everything at the same time rather than piecemeal:
>
> # portupgrade -rf icu-\*
>
> Caution: This'll take a while.
>
> Jud
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 18, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com> wrote:

> >> I'm having this too. I think this happens because the portupgrade of
> >> devel/icu installs a new version of libicui18n (libicui18n.so.46) and
> >> deletes the old one (so.38). Lots of ports still need the old version
> >> like libavahi-app.
> >>
> >> I'll try to make a symlink so.38 to so.46 and see what happens.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Marco
> >
> > I tried portupgrade -fR avahi-app and several others ports.
> >
> > Eventuall, out of frustration I pkg_deinstall -f avahi-app\* and then
> > portupgrade -n avahi-app was successful.
> >
> > I don't know why, but it worked.

I had been updating icu with protupgrade -fr icu, but ahavi-app failed to
build.  I went through trying to update avahi-app for a couple days to no
avail.  I finally deinstalled and reinstalled. ANd it worked.

--
System Name:         laptop2.StevenFriedrich.org
Hardware:            2.80GHz Intel Pentium 4 (HTT) with 2 GB memory

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH6 (82801FB)> (play/rec) default