Noob Jail question.

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Fri Dec 17 22:07:49 UTC 2010

On 12/18/10 02:58, Dave wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I've actualy got a "messing about" PC with 8.1 on, that I often play with
> during lunch times at work.  Trouble is, been working through lunchtimes
> for the last week or three.
>
> Self teaching is good, you certainly learn things, but though I'm not in
> need of instant self gratification, it's a bit frustrating the time it
> takes to learn, and then get it sorted, when I idealy want it to "just
> work".

If you take them time now, it'll get quicker in the future. Happens to
me all the time, so I understand the frustration, but hang in there and
eventually you'll be flipping them out wherever you like. Being able to
ask sometimes stupid questions here to get things clear is always handy
too- sometimes something that should be obvious evades our comprehension :)
> Still, for the price (free of course) I can't complain, and it's not as
> if I'm doing it for a job, or charging anyone for it.  If I was, I'd take
> paid for advice, and pass the cost on!

It'll pay off in the end. IF you were getting paid for it, you'd have
the knowledge for future clients, so I'm not sure how that fits in the
economics ;) That said, I've found that paid advice is not always as
helpful or knowledgeable as free... That may not be the case where you
though. Here things are ruled by how much can be gained now and in the
near future such as "off the shelf".