new termcap entry for rxvt-unicode-256color

Frédéric Perrin frederic.perrin at resel.fr
Tue Dec 14 21:19:53 UTC 2010

Le lundi 13 à 22:43, Thomas Dickey a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 08:11:47AM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
>> Quoth Frédéric Perrin on Monday, 13 December 2010:
>>> rxvt-unicode version 9.09 was released last month. It added support for
>>> 256 colors in the default configuration, and the default value of $TERM
>>> changed to rxvt-unicode-256color (from rxvt-unicode).
>
> The 256-colors aren't shown since the corresponding terminfo expression
> doesn't map to termcap.  (I added a workaround recently in ncurses to
> recognize this special case).  For example
>
> xterm+256color|xterm 256-color feature:\
>         :cc:\
> 	:Co#256:pa#32767:\
> 	:AB=\E[48;5;%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%dm:Sb@:Sf@:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the corresponding expression
doesn't map to termcap". Do you mean that FreeBSD's curses library need
to be patched to handle 256 colors ? (using 8.1 RELEASE here; ncurses is
version 5.7.20081102).

However, both Co and pa are documented in termcap(5) as being the number
of colors and bg/fg pairs. In addition, I added the following to my
termcap file :

rxvt-unicode-256color|rxvt-unicode terminal with 256 colors (X Window System):\
        :cc:Co#256:pa#32767:tc=rxvt-unicode:

When running [1], I do get 256 colors. However, tmux is in black & white
(actually, it already was, unless run with something like
TERM=xterm-16color tmux new ; but we don't want to lie about $TERM, do
we?).

[1] http://www.frexx.de/xterm-256-notes/data/256colors2.pl

--
Fred