new termcap entry for rxvt-unicode-256color

Frédéric Perrin frederic.perrin at resel.fr
Mon Dec 13 15:25:22 UTC 2010

Hello,

rxvt-unicode version 9.09 was released last month. It added support for
256 colors in the default configuration, and the default value of $TERM
changed to rxvt-unicode-256color (from rxvt-unicode).

This results in slightly incorrect colors, and some programs like vi(1)
refuse to work. It is my understanding that I should update
/usr/share/misc/termcap. The diff between rxvt-unicode and
rxvt-unicode-256color seems rather short; on a Linux machine, I have :

girafe:~% infocmp -d rxvt-unicode rxvt-unicode-256color
comparing rxvt-unicode to rxvt-unicode-256color.
    comparing booleans.
    comparing numbers.
	colors: 88, 256.
	pairs: 7744, 32767.
    comparing strings.

However, I don't how how to update the termcap file. From my
understanding of the manpage, the following command should give me the
necessary information :

girafe:~% infocmp -C -u rxvt-unicode-256color rxvt-unicode
rxvt-unicode-256color|rxvt-unicode terminal with 256 colors (X Window System):\
	:tc=rxvt-unicode:

As you see, their is no mention of the 256-color capabilities, this
doesn't seem correct. How do I update the termcap file ?

--
Fred