pass for single user mode

Phan Quoc Hien phanquochien at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:48:15 UTC 2010

Hi,
To set password for single usermode in FreeBSD:
*
1.Edit /etc/ttys*

vi /etc/ttys

*
2.Change the following line *:
*From*

console        none                            unknown off secure

*To*

console        none                            unknown off insecure

*3.Save and quit editor(vi)*

Reboot the box and boot into single user mode, if you wanna test it.
By the way, the keyword "insecure" imply to the console is insecure and thus
required root password to be authenticated before single user mode can be
access. It DOES NOT mean that the console is run insecurely. Take note.