FreeBSD on Virtualbox: No network access

Weihang Wang weihang at vt.edu
Thu Dec 9 18:49:03 UTC 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Weihang Wang <weihang at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could someone tell me how to enable Bridge mode?
>>

> Seems like you already know how since you do it below.
>

>> I just change the network settings of my virtual machine, change it to
>> bridged mode. I also select the eth0, which is the physical interface of my
>> system.
>> Then in my virtual machine, I add one line:
>> ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf file.
>> I have changed each of the five virtual interfaces Intel and ..., but I
>> could not get network access.
>>

> ifconfig_em0="DHCP" would only work for the intel adapters, not amd ones.
>

>> If I use NAT mode, one of these five interfaces works fine. But now I do
>> need the Bridged mode because one of my machine would be a server in my
>> experiment.
>>

> You do have a DHCP server correct?  What happens when you do "dhclient
> em0"?  Does bridged networking work with a different guest OS as maybe it's
> some problem with your host.
>
> --
> Adam Vande More

Hi,

I do not configure a DHCP server. When my FreeBSD 6.0 is booting, there are several DHCPDISCOVERY messages, finally it shows no DHCPOFFER received. Do I need to configure a DHCP server myself? If I need a DHCP server? Where it should be? Now I only have one test machine, Ubuntu as the host OS, two VMs (both are FreeBSD 6.0) on this machine. I want this two VMs communicate with each other.

Just go back to the DHCP stuff, when I use NAT mode, the guest OS FreeBSD 6.0 could get DHCPOFFER successfully. Who is the DHCP server then?

When running dhclien em0, the results are similar to the DHCPDISCOVER results during booting. No DHCPOFFERS received.

Thanks,
W.W.