Installer program for FreeBSD-9.0?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Dec 6 22:13:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:31:26 +0000, Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
> There's a plan to replace sysinstall with pc-sysinstall, the
> PCBSD installer in 9.0. Currently the backend has been committed and
> people are working on a web interface frontend to allow people to do
> installations via a web browser.

Does this imply that the installation requires running X
plus a web browser, or a "hard to use" text mode web browser?
Or is this intended to be used for remote installation only?
Will the installer therefore be unusable for specific
settings (headless, serial, text)?

> Meanwhile I'm hoping to find some time to improve sysinstall now that
> we don't support installation from floppies: I know there are some big
> improvements that can be made while not taking on the work of a complete
> rewrite.

I agree that sysinstall could benefit from some improvements,
especially the incorporation of the "new partitioning methods",
involving labels, ufsids, GEOM, GPT and PMBR, keeping the
traditional methods MBR, fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs available
for those systems that the user INTENDEDLY wants to install
with those methods (e. g. older hardware).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany