Archiving directories / zip format

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Dec 6 07:45:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:17:17 +0100, Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> From time to time I want to archive a quite a few directories to
> download them conveniently. I have been using tar to do it, endingin
> up with a tar.gz file. But the problem with it is that I do not have a
> unix machine at home so if I want to extract something or unpack the
> content, there is no easy way to do that. My question basically is if
> there is a way to end up with a zip file?

You can install the "zip" program:

	# pkg_add -r zip

and then use it recursively, e. g.

	% zip -r9 stuff.zip dir1 dir2 dir3 fileX fileY

If there is no need for compression, change 9 to 0. Also
see "man zip" for details.

> Or are there any windows
> tools to unzip and/or extract content from tar.gz files?

There should be a TAR.EXE program, at least it existed as
an addition to DOS. I'm not sure this exists for "Windows",
or if you need some additional program for that.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany