Rebuilding perl with threads

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Wed Dec 1 22:08:16 UTC 2010

Previously, I wrote

> I'm in a process of installing a new server. I have already built
> and installed a lot of ports over the past weeks, and now that I'm
> almost done I discovered that one of the last things I need to
> install (misc/amanda-server) needs Perl installed with threads
> support, whereas I have it installed without threads.
>
> For this kind of change, is it safe to reinstall just the Perl port,
> or do I also need to rebuild all ports that depend on Perl? That
> would be a *lot* of rebuilding. The version I currently have
> installed is perl-5.12.2_2, lang/perl5.12 seems to currently be at
> 5.12.4.

I can now report that there will be problems if you rebuild just the
perl port. I used portmaster to perform this task. Then I discovered
that (at least some of the) libraries built against non-threaded Perl
refuse to be loaded with threaded Perl. A rather typical error message
you'll see is 'Undefined symbol"PL_sv_undef"'.

In order to get amavisd-new running again, I rebuilt the following
ports using portmaster:

devel/p5-Time-HiRes
sysutils/p5-Unix-Syslog
security/p5-Crypt-OpenSSL-RSA
www/p5-HTML-Parser
converters/p5-Convert-UUlib
textproc/p5-YAML-Tiny
devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder
devel/p5-ExtUtils-ParseXS
devel/p5-ExtUtils-Install
devel/p5-version
devel/p5-Module-Build
converters/p5-Encode-Detect
net/p5-IO-Socket-INET6
net/p5-Socket6

I now have amavisd-new running again, but it is possible that I'll
discover more (non-amavisd-related) ports that need rebuilding.

--
Toomas Aas