Mirror mounts not available on FreeBSD? (was: Re: NFSv4 shows all ZFS filesystems as being owned by root)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 31 19:20:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> When a ZFS filesystem mountpoint is owned by someone other than root,
> this is not depicted properly on NFSv4 clients:

After playing around a bit more, it appears the problem is that ZFS
filesystems under an NFSv4 mountpoint are not auto-mounted by Linux
clients of a FreeBSD server the way they are when they're clients of
an OpenSolaris server; if I mount them manually, the ownership is
correct.  I think OpenSolaris calls this functionality "mirror
mounts."  Is there a way to get mirror mounts to work on FreeBSD, or
is it necessary to mount every sub-filesystem manually?

The intended application here is a server hosting user home
directories, where each user has their own ZFS filesystem.  Having to
list every user in /etc/fstab on every client is not really workable.
With an OpenSolaris server, I can have the Linux clients mount
/tank/home, and all the filesystems under /tank/home come along for
the ride; I'm trying to duplicate this with a FreeBSD server.