Telnet Secure login SRA?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Aug 24 06:28:56 UTC 2010

In the last episode (Aug 23), jaymax said:
> I've just reset my telnet setup, now it comes up with a SRA secure login
> prompt, how can I get rid of it.  I'm just using it for a short while to
> troubleshoot another installation, Qmail.
>
>    telnet localhost
>    Trying 127.0.0.1...
>    Connected to localhost.
>    Escape character is '^]'.
>    Trying SRA secure login:
>    User (UserName):

SRA is a login sequence that encrypts the password (something that regular
telnet doesn't do).  It's only is activated if the other end advertises
itself as a telnet server.

> Then if I do
>
>    telnet local host 25
> ==>
>    telnet localhost 25
>    Trying 127.0.0.1...
>    telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection reset by peer
>    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

That means that whatever was listening on port 25 reset the connection.

> Don't know if the SRA prompt is impeding the connection to the port

It isn't.  Say, didn't I answer a similar question a week ago?  Hm.  Looks
like you responded but I never saw the response.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-August/220263.html

Looking at that tcpdump output, it looks like qmail accepted the connection
then immediately dropped it.  You'll have to look at your qmail logs to find
out why.  If it's not generating logs, try running truss or ktrace on the
listening process to see if it's crashing on you before it has a change to
log anything.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com