Is this bunk.

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 05:00:36 UTC 2010

On 8/22/2010 7:25 PM, Garry wrote:
> Mac OS X is basically BSD that's been appleised (serious vendor lock-in),
> they do give a little back to BSDs, but have made sure that BSDs can't get
> much off of them, but they can get a lot out of BSD.

Oh the corny quote, "If you love something set it free, if it comes back
to you, it was meant to be."

GPL is viral, restrictive, forces the code to come back and you can go
to court if it doesn't.  Code from OpenBSD is used with the Linux
kernel, but because of the GPL even Linux kernel modules must be GPLed
so the code cannot go back to OpenBSD.  It's a theft in the spirit of
open source, since it cannot be given back.  There are rumors that the
CDDL was written to be BSD style and not GPL compatible.

Apache and Sendmail are both BSD licensed, but I don't see them getting
"stolen."

As for the GPL itself, I think the biggest problem is who controls it
and who enforces it.  Companies get sued over busybox frequently, and
not by the busybox developers.  Stallman's views about how computers
should work amounts to near anarchy
<http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html>.