Thinkpad Wireless

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 03:58:59 UTC 2010

On 8/22/10 11:51 PM, Rem P Roberti wrote:
> OK...here's what is happening now.  I have put these entries into
> /etc/rc.conf:
>
> wlans_iwi0="wlan0"
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>
> when I booted up I could see from the wireless "beacon" indicator that
> something was happening.  But I kept getting this message:
>
> iwi0: need multicast update callback

I used to see this on my Toshiba laptop I no longer use (using iwn(4)).
 It is seemingly harmless.

> And when I tried to do a ping I got the dreaded...ping: cannot resolve
> yahoo.com: Host name lookup failure...and then all of sudden it started
> working and I was able to successfully ping, and connect.

In what timeframe from the boot?  I suspect WPA was still in the
authentication process.  My Toshiba's wireless card would take a few
seconds (roughly 10) before authenticating.

> Is this voodoo :-) ?

Probably. :)

--
Glen Barber