Open Mail Relay

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sun Aug 15 20:16:01 UTC 2010

On 15/08/10 13.57, peter at vfemail.net wrote:

> Assume, as Mr. Bonomi suggests, that some bad guy has installed some type of additional mailer on the machine or another machine that's allowed to relay mail.  How would I go about locating that other mailer?

If the messages are indeed relayed through your server then you can see
it in the logs and in the Received header field which host is sending
the mail to your server.

If somebody forges mail to appear to come from your domain, but not
relayed through your server there is really not much you can do. Only
the recipient server can reject the mails.

Some servers support spf and you can help other servers know that mail
from your domain must originate from your server by adding a txt entry
in your dns.

BR, Erik