UPS question

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Aug 13 17:12:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, August 12, 2010 8:14 pm, Al Plant wrote:
>> #3. Thats why setting the bios "not" to self boot would work. (Stopping
>> the bios from turning the server on after an outage.) Someone would have
>> to check the power status manually before throwing the switch manually
>> to make it come up after power has been restored.  Also turning servers
>> and some desktops off and on is many cases a bad idea.

Yeah, that's why I prefaced my original misgivings by asking if this was
an unattended system.  If someone will be around to push the button,
there's no need to worry about bringing the system back up automatically.
But if someone's going to have to drive 50 miles on a weekend to do it,
automatic start-up is a good idea. ;)

Where I work we have most of our systems set to *not* power back up after
an outage.  This is deliberate; I can't guarantee that the air
conditioners will come back on when power is restored, so I need to
manually verify that they're working before all that heat-generating
equipment is powered back on.