How to connect a jail to the web ?

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Wed Aug 11 02:50:32 UTC 2010

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Fbsd8> ifconfig alias
>
> Fbsd8> man 8 ifconfig
>
> Yup, and using that, I can give a private 10.x address to my jail.
>
> How do I get it to face the public without a firewall rule?

No. Your jail is assigned it's ip address when you create it. The alias
gives the jail network access when you start the jail. Both ip address
must match.

Just assign the jail your public ip address when you create it.

"face the public" is a very large subject, which the answer depends on
your hardware configuration, registered domain names and static ip
addresses.

Using jails requires the host system administrator to be well trained in
networks and how public and private networks function. Jail
documentation is not going to teach you this.