File System Performance on FreeBSD

Antonio Vieiro antonio at antonioshome.net
Sun Aug 8 17:57:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

I heard that Linux filesystems were not reliable because of some bad way
of doing caching or something like that.

For a study on Linux FS reliability see [1] by Toshiba guys. It seems
Linux was upset on this about one year ago [2]. Quoting:

"Torvalds, for one, didn't seem too excited about the delayed
synchronization. He writes on the mailing list, "Doesn't at least ext4
default to the insane model of 'data is less important than metadata,
and it doesn't get journalled'? And ext3 with 'data=writeback' does the
same, no? Both of which are -- as far as I can tell -- total brain damage."

I don't mind if a filesystem is very fast: I want it to be reliable
first. I wonder if that Phoronix test suite checks for reliability first
or not.

Cheers,
Antonio

[1] elinux.org/images/2/26/Evaluation_of_Data_Reliability-ELC2010.pdf
[2]
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Linus-Torvalds-Upset-over-Ext3-and-Ext4