zfs question

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 15:51:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:

>  On 8-8-2010 14:27, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> Yes. It works very well.
>> On amd64 you'll get a pretty reasonable setup out of the box (so to
>> speak) which will work fine for most purposes.
>>
> One other thing comes to mind. I want a very robus, fast rockl solid
> *server*
> It will be a file- email and webserver mostly.
>
> Instead of using two ZFS mirrors I could also go for gmirror (I'm not
> familiar with it, but it's been around for quite some time so it should be
> very stable). I don't get the data integrity that way, but my files would be
> safe, no?
>
> Also, using gmirror I could use "normal" BSD UFS filesystems and normal
> swap files devided across all disks?
> Or am I wrong, thinking this way.
>
> I'm not into fancy stuff; it has to be robust, fast and safe.

You do not *need* amd64, however it would the best choice.  I wouldn't even
mess around with gmirror.  It's great and I love it, but it has some serious
drawback's compared to zfs mirroring.  One is there is no integrity
checking, and two is a full resyc is required on an unclean disconnect.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/Mirror

--
Adam Vande More