copyright for man pages

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Fri Aug 6 03:21:51 UTC 2010

Quoth Chad Perrin on Thursday, 05 August 2010:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 07:16:20AM -0400, r at mlg3.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry of this is the wrong list but what is the copyright situation for
> > things like man pages? If I want to host a copy of one on the web or
> > something, is there some additional disclaimer I need to add?
>
> As I understand it, most man pages and other FreeBSD documentation is
> distributed under the terms of the FreeBSD Documentation License:
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-doc-license.html
>
> Anything that says "GNU" in it (because it's related to GNU software) is
> likely to be distributed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
> License:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html
>
> Some man pages are likely to be distributed under the standard BSD
> License.  There may or may not be some stuff distributed under the terms
> of the BSD Documentation License, which is actually a derivative of the
> FreeBSD Documentation License.  There may be a couple here and there
> distributed under other licenses as well.
>
> I'm not anyone officially associated with the documentation project,
> though, so don't just take my word for it if you have reason to question
> what I've said.
>
> --
> Chad Perrin [ original content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]

Man pages for ports might have their own licensing -- perhaps (though not
necessarily) under the same license as their corresponding ports.

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden    | sterling at camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com        | http://chipsquips.com