lightweight Chat client/server?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Aug 3 20:18:49 UTC 2010

> I have a combination of Spark (windows client) and Open Fire (FreeBSD
> server, actually Java) for my lan.
> We've used this setup for years, but the OpenFire server takes up ~500 +
> MB.
>
> Anyways, we were looking for something a bit smaller.
> We just need to send text messages to LAN users (less than 6) and
> supports a nice windows client.
> We're not suppose to use any external services (yahoo messenger, aol, etc)

We've been using Jabber for several years internally.  Works well and
has clients for just about every OS I know of.

Don't know if it could be considered lightweight, though, since it
requires an SQL server on the backend.  If you already have another
SQL server in production, you could just install the DB there, as its
DB usage is pretty light.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com