Installkernel Failure

David Allen the.real.david.allen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 10:57:18 UTC 2010

I recently upgraded a system from 8.0 to 8.1.

I'm now trying to install FreeBSD 8.1 to a second system by performing a
minimal install, and then NFS mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj from the
just-upgraded system.

Simple enough, right?  Well, the installkernel target is bombing out with
an error each time.  If I install from an 8.1 CD, I get 'ncp.ko not
found'.  If I install from an 8.0 CD, I get the following:

  # cd /usr/src
  # make installkernel
  ==> mxge (install)
  ===> mxge/mxge (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_mxge.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> mxge/mxge_eth_z8e (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   mxge_eth_z8e.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> mxge/mxge_ethp_z8e (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   mxge_ethp_z8e.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> mxge/mxge_rss_eth_z8e (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   mxge_rss_eth_z8e.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> mxge/mxge_rss_ethp_z8e (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   mxge_rss_ethp_z8e.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> my (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_my.ko /boot/kernel
  ===> ncp (install)
  install -o root -g wheel -m 555   ncp.ko /boot/kernel
  *** Error code 71

  Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ncp.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NOTGENERIC.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/src.
  (END)

There is no ncp.ko on the successfully upgraded system.