Setting Debug flag in /etc/make.conf

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 2 13:38:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 07:28:24AM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> I have been having problems with several different programs lately.
> Would there be any serious drawback to simply setting: "WITH_DEBUG= "
> in the /etc/make.conf file to force everything I build/rebuild to be
> built with debug symbols?

No.

You are assuming every program's Makefile uses WITH_DEBUG that way!  The base
system doesn't for one. And neither do all ports. To look for yourself, use
the following command;

    find /usr/ports/ -type f -name Makefile -exec grep -H DEBUG {} \;

While a lot use WITH_DEBUG, not all ports do, and some use other options, like
NODEBUG or DEBUGFLAGS, or DEBUGGING.

You'd have to look into the programs in question to see how to enable
debugging for those.

Roland