More than 8 partitions

Jon Theil Nielsen jontheil at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 18:11:00 UTC 2010

Hi

I'm running 8.0-Release on an external usb hard drive. and have dual-boot
with FreeBSD on da0s2 and Windows XP on da0s1. I made a setup via Sysinstall
with 7 partitions:

/dev/da0s2a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/da0s2b (swap)
/dev/da0s2d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2h on /var/log (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0s2g on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)

I have about 660 GB left unused on da0s2 that I would like to use for
backups. But I can't figure out how to create one more partition.
If i create a file for bsdlabel like

#       size    offset  fstype
i:      *       0       4.2BSD

I get the following error message: "line 2: partition name out of range a-h:
i"
I have also tried with gpart:

gpart add -s 500G -t freebsd -f x da0s2

I get something like "gpart: index '9': No space left on device"

I thought that 8.0 should support more than 8 partitions. Maybe it does, but
then I don't know how to do.
Any ideas?

Regards,
Jon