Using a scanner (USB) as user and not as root

Marco Beishuizen mbeis at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 28 17:50:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a flatbed scanner (a HP ScanJet 4400c) that works with SANE (and
Xsane), but only as root and I want to access it as user. After some
googling and reading the handbook I copied the default file
/etc/defaults/devfs.rules to /etc/ and added the lines:

[system=5]
add path 'ugen*' mode 0664 group usb
add path 'usb/*' mode 0666 group usb

and also made the group usb with root and the user in /etc/group.
I also added devfs_system_ruleset="system" to /etc/rc.conf.

After a reboot, USB and the scanner are still only accessible as root and
not as user. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Marco
--
Alan Turing thought about criteria to settle the question of whether
machines can think, a question of which we now know that it is about