Installation queries

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Sat Apr 24 14:41:53 UTC 2010

At 09:32 a.m. 24/04/2010, you wrote:
>On April 24, 2010 07:53:27 am Glen Barber wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Warren Liddell wrote:
> > > I have a Hard Drive presently running Win 7 which ironically i wish to
> > > remain souly a Win drive .. my question is, i have another drive im
> > > looking to put in while i take the windows 1 out and install FreeBSD
> > > onto it .. if later on i decide for some god unknown reason to put that
> > > drive back in and take the FreeBSD one out .. will there be any issues ?
> >
> > No, because they will be two separate disks.  If you have only one
> > attached at one time, each disk will contain its own MBR.
> >
> > Regards,
>
>I have always found disk caddies to be a much better solution than dual-boot.
>It guarantees no interference. I learned the hard way some years ago with an
>'accident' with dd on a dual-boot disk...

I would like to hear if possible your comments and advice on this
taht's related ..

What if you have a to have several OS and distros to study or give
consulting and developing services. I have this scenario now and I
guess I have this optios.

- Extra disk(s) and install there the differnet os I need (FreeBSD
and some Linux distros).
- As mentioned have different small disk with real installations and
change according to needs.
- Change my slow machine and have a big one with
   a) have the windows needed (for some clients that have that, I am
sorry) and under it run VMWARE or similar and have all the
installations that I need.
   b) Have a big mac and do the same with virtualpc or similar (not
sure of the name).

Thinking that you are looking to continue learning and you are
offering consulting services where clients have different
instllations. What would you choose of the above, if any? Or what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Jorge Biquez