no more possible to use any usb storage device/usb flash drive, when pluged or unpluged

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 09:51:01 UTC 2010

On Saturday 24 April 2010, Aiza wrote:

> harvey dent wrote:
> > Hi everybody
> >
> > I try to make a "functional" custom kernel for a i386 machine.
> > Here the uname -a:
> > *FreeBSD k 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Tue Jan  5
> > 16:02:27 UTC 2010
> > root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > i386*
> >
> > I maked, and I installed a new kernel.
> > But, there are several problems with it.
> > Under GNOME, any usb hard drive or usb flash drive are no more
> > mounted automaticaly, causing errors, unlike GENERIC kernel. So I
> > have to use *mount *command.

[snip]

> Well the simple answer is you removed something from the new kernel
> that you shouldn't have. Return to the generic kernel and only remove
> one or two options and compile and test. cycle through this method
> until your system finally misbehaves again. Then you know one of the
> last 2 options has to be kept in the kernel.

An alternative to making a copy of GENERIC and then editing it is to
create a new file from scratch containing an "include GENERIC"
directive and an appropriate "ident" along with "nooptions"
and "nodevice" directives to remove unwanted features and "options"
and "device" directives to add additional ones, as outlined at the
start of section 8.6 of the FreeBSD Handbook
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html>.

The PAE config file provides an example of this approach.

This way your kernel file shows only the changes you've made to
the "standard" kernel and should make it easier to identify the cause
of problems.

--
Mike Clarke