"acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd" Message

B J top_gun_canada at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 00:35:53 UTC 2010

<snip>

> compiled
> >> that file and got

> of the
> >> code.  I have no
> compiled
> >> after I
> the
> >> original code, perhaps?) What happens if you
> recompile an
> >> unmodified ASL?
> >
> > I got those 2 errors plus a warning.
>
> By errors do you mean that you can't recompile unless you
> comment out the statement? Ie are the errors fatal?

All attempts to compile the code unless I did that failed.  Other occurrences of Local0 result from operations such as Boolean logical tests.  At the points where those statements are, something which defines that variable doesn't exist.

Something obviously slipped through the compilation.  I've seen that once in a while with other compilers that I've used.

> > I bought the machine second-hand from a dealer that
> was going out of
> > business.  It came with Vista installed so,
> presumably, the
> > motherboard might have been set accordingly.
> Updating the BIOS might
> > help, but I removed Vista when I started tinkering
> with FreeBSD,
> > which might make that operation a touch difficult.
>
> Updating the BIOS might help, didn't for me though. If you
> want to try it, google for a MS-DOS boot disk image to
> download, either for floppy disk or CDROM depending on what
> hardware you have.

OK.  I'll look for something like that.

> > The main reason I'm concerned about this bug is that
> I'm planning on
> > building my own machine and possibly running FreeBSD
> on it for my
> > research.  I'd hate to put something together,
> install FreeBSD, and
> > have nothing but bugs like this to contend with.
> >
> This is a bug introduced by the crappy manufacturer not
> FreeBSD.

I first noticed the bug after I went from, as I remember, 6.2 to 6.3.  I think the board was made by a major manufacturer.

On the other hand, a problem like this is something I'll have to watch for when I finally get around to building my computer.

The acpidump/iasl combo is FreeBSD's way of working
> round it. You might want to try on the acpi mailing list if
> you want to investigate further.

Thanks.  I'll sign up for it if I'm not already.

 I think the acpi section in
> the handbook says they like to know about such problems.
>
> I don't think it is a common problem. If you are buying a
> new motherboard you should be able to find something without
> this problem. Check the hardware notes http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/hardware.html

Thanks for the tip.

BMJ

<snip>