"acpi_tz0: _TMP value is absurd" Message

B J top_gun_canada at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 14:25:34 UTC 2010

<snip>

> > I've looked at some of the ACPI code file and didn't
> notice anything obvious which might be responsible for the
> error message.  A quick solution I've used is running a
> file with:
> >
> > hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0 -> 1
> > hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10 -> 1800
> > hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 1 -> 0
> >
> > shortly after logging in as root.  The message
> still appears but not as often, though it doesn't fix the
> whatever causes the error.

<snip>

> I made a similar problem go away on my Compaq nc6320 by
> installing a custom ASL, see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html
> and http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2009-March/005562.html
>
> My issue was with _CRT not _TMP. The whole thread is long
> but it's got some useful background.
>
> Basically you create an ASL (see handbook), figure out
> exactly where _TMP is set, figure out what alternative
> values set it to a non-absurd value. Testing the alternative
> values is trial and error and involves installing a modified
> AML (see handbook) and rebooting.

I created an ASL file and located what appeared to be the code block where that value was set.  I followed the statements and nothing appeared to be unusual.  (Of course, I might have missed something because I don't have much experience with ACPI programming.)

One thing I did notice, however, is when I compiled that file and got two errors arising from:

Store (Local0, Local0)

where Local0 hadn't been defined in that part of the code.  I have no idea how that came about, but it successfully compiled after I commented out that statement.  (A bug in the original code, perhaps?)

> best of luck and when you get a working modified AML keep
> it somewhere for when you reinstall...

Agreed.