[OT] Was: Disabling DNS

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Apr 20 18:37:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:48:46PM -0430, Alberto Mijares wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> FreeBSD has an excelent documentation. Just reading the manual you
> >> will know how to acomplish dummy sysadmin tasks like this.
> >                             ^^^^^
> >
> > Maybe you have a language problem, but this looks very much like
> > inappropriate response.   We do no call names on this list.  It
> > is unhelpful, unfriendly and non-professional.
> >
> > ////jerry
>

> When you give a specific answer, you are just giving that: one single
> answer. When you give the source of this answer instead, you are
> giving many answers at once. Now, it's obvious that the OP hasn't read
> the handbook ever and I think he didn't try, at least, a google search
> before asking this question. So, why is it inappropiate, unhelpful,
> unfriendly or non-professional my advise? Ain't it a tacit rule in
> every list to do some research before asking help?
>
> Just in case, I made a search of every word I used in a dictionary;
> and no offensive nor annoying meaning was found (OK, I misstyped
> "accomplish", sorry about that. My native language is spanish).

A person needs to be encouraged to read the documentation but
should not be called a dummy.    I suppose you might have had
a different intent for the use of that word which is why I mentioned
the possibility of having a language problem.    But, it appeared
in the text that you were calling the person stupid and that is
inappropriate for postings to this list.   We avoid personal attacks.

////jerry