odd ssh/X11 forward behavior

Mike Miskulin birdfund at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 18:50:46 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 4/18/10, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: odd ssh/X11 forward behavior
> To: "Mike Miskulin" <birdfund at yahoo.com>
> Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 3:55 AM

> Hmmm.... What's $DISPLAY in the second session?  I'd
> expect it to say
> localhost:11.0 (ie. you've created a 2nd tunnel)

both were host2:10.0

> Does running 'xauth list' on either host offer any
> clues?

nope

> What's the setting for X11UseLocalhost in your sshd_config

this was set to no. I've changed it back, though I don't think it was the problem as it was changed in response to the problem of not being able to run anything remotely.

In addition, I took a look at my firewall setup on host2.  It seemed when I changed it some very many months ago I neglected to add an entry to allow traffic on the loopback interface.  It seems not to have been an issue for anything until this point.

In any event, the problem does seem to be now solved.   Thanks again for your quick reply.

Mike