version/revision control software for things mostly not source

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 17 16:31:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:08:49PM +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
> I think I am reaching the point where I want to have some kind of sane
> and easy to use version/revision control software for my various
> personal files and small projects. We are talking about varied kind of
> data, ranging from binary format game data (I have been doing FPS
> level design as a hobby for over a decade) to .doc office documents to
> ASCI text formatted game data. Most of the data is not plaintext.
<snip>
> What would be examples of good version control software for me? The
> major things I want are: a simple and easy to use Windows GUI client
> for my workstation, so I can quickly browse through different
> projects, go back to any given point in time and view/checkout the
> data of that point to a Windows machine.

For text files, things like rcs work fine. But if you are handling binary
files, you need something else.

Personally, I like git. [http://git-scm.com/] Since I'm not a windows user, I
cannot vouch for the windows client, but you can find some info at the
follwing link. [http://nathanj.github.com/gitguide/tour.html]

Roland