libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpng.so.5" not found, required by "gnome-session"

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 00:27:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 07:11:24PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have rebuilt everything from scratch ran it for several days.  Have
> tried it back and forth still get the same thing.  I guess I should
> keep trying for a while Till I give up and maybe install 7.3?

I don't think your problem has anything to do with the base OS.
I think this is only related to the ports tree.

> I did not read /usr/ports/UPDATING entry from that day, or maybe it
> was there but too many things worked apparently except KDE and/or
> GNOME :(

well, the png upgrade was painful for all. But all you need is
to rebuild all png-dependent ports. In your example of gnome-session
you can try to find which port installed it and rebuild that port.
Something like

# which gnome-session

or

# find /usr -name "gnome-session"

should give you the full path to the executable.

Then you can try

# pkg_info -W <full path to the executable>

this should give you the port name. Try to rebuild
it. If all goes well you are likely to be stopped
at another png-dependent port needing rebuilding.
So you just repeat this process for all such ports.

But as I said, if you have lots of png dependent ports
it might be easier to delete all ports and install them
from scratch. I don't use gnome or kde myself, so can't
advise here.

anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht