Log rotation / newsyslog / apache not reloaded

Morgan Wesström freebsd-questions at pp.dyndns.biz
Thu Apr 15 10:26:34 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-15 12:08, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2010 at 8:30, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the following lines in my /etc/newsyslog.conf
>>
>> /var/log/*-access.log                   644  30    *    @T00  JCG
>> /var/log/*-error.log                    644  30    *    @T00  JCG
>
> I added /var/run/httpd.pid at the end of both lines and will see if
> that helps.
>
> Zbigniew Szalbot

Alternatively you can use sysutils/cronolog which will eliminate the
need to restart Apache entirely. Apache's configuration file allows you
to pipe your logs to sysutils/cronolog (or any other external program)
which in turn can be configured to split the logs almost any way you
like. This is very convenient, especially if you run many vhosts which
normally will turn nywsyslog.conf into a mess. The man page explains it
in detail.
http://cronolog.org/download/cronolog.pdf

Regards
Morgan