Promise TX4302 eSATA card doesn't play with a Quantum DLT-v4 tape drive

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Apr 12 14:56:50 UTC 2010

I have a FreeBSD 8 server with a Quantum DLT-v4 tape drive. I'd been
using it over USB but want to switch to eSATA for various reasons.
Here's the dmesg entry for the drive when connected via USB:

sa0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
sa0: <QUANTUM DLT-V4 0A00> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 40.000MB/s transfers

Here are snippets of dmesg when connecting the drive via the new Promise
TX4302 card I just installed:

atapci0: <Promise PDC40718 SATA300 controller> port
0xdc80-0xdcff,0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xdfbff000-0xdfbfffff,0xdfbc0000-0xdfbdffff irq 66 at device 7.0 on pci3
atapci0: [ITHREAD]
atapci0: [ITHREAD]
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
ata4: <ATA channel 2> on atapci0
ata5: <ATA channel 3> on atapci0
ata3: SIGNATURE: eb140101
ast0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE timed out
ata3: SIGNATURE: eb140101
ast0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE timed out
ata3: SIGNATURE: eb140101
ast0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE timed out
ata3: SIGNATURE: eb140101
ast0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE timed out
ata3: SIGNATURE: eb140101
ast0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE timed out
device_attach: ast0 attach returned 6

...and then device ast0 never appears. Any idea how I can get these two
pieces of hardware to play nicely together?

--
Kirk Strauser