Online school for FreeBSD

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Mon Apr 12 12:11:31 UTC 2010

herbert langhans writes:

>  I sign here too - Lucas' Absolute FreeBSD covers practically all
>  the aspects when you new to Unix. Its a good choice. A seperate
>  computer for trying out and break'n'reinstall is also a good idea
>  for a start.
>
>  Its like learning a foreign language. At the beginning you may
>  wonder how anybody can ever understand this mumbo jumbo. Then you
>  will get an idea of it and go into an experimental stage where
>  many things go wrong. And after some years you wonder that there
>  was a time before where you could not understand such an obvious,
>  logical concept.

	For UNIX novices willing to read, I strongly recomment _UNIX
System Administration Handbook_
(http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-System-Administration-Handbook-3rd/dp/0130206016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271073058&sr=1-1).
 My version, now out of date, covers Solaris, HP-UX, Red Hat, and
FreeBSD.  It's very readable, and while it doesn't cover
everything it teaches enough (including some "how" and "why" to be
able to figure things out from the man pages or third-party
documentation.

					Robert Huff