USB Powered Speakers

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Fri Apr 9 23:31:36 UTC 2010

Programmer In Training wrote:

> I really don't know where to look for this. I've never even heard of USB
> powered speakers until I got these (no, I don't pay much attention to
> what's available unless I have a great need for it). I'm thinking I'm
> just going to wait until Tuesday and get a brand new pair of
> wall-powered speakers. This hassle is NOT worth it (they put out decent
> sound).

Unless you insist on an operating system solution what you are really
after is a 5 volt supply. What about buying a mains USB charger of the
right capacity, or if you are handy with bits of wire have a look
through all those old power supplies for a 5 volt one? Or even use the 5
volt supply from inside your computer (if it is a desktop not laptop)

Chris